Monday, June 1, 2009

The Art of Writing Regency Romance by Hazel Statham


Hazel Statham returns to The Book Connection today to talk about the art of writing Regency Romance. Her latest release, Lizzie's Rack (The Wild Rose Press) is now available at Amazon.

Hazel lives in Staffordshire, England. She started writing at fifteen and has written on and off ever since. She has always been fascinated by history and writes mainly in the Regency and Georgian eras, although she has had a short Medieval story published. Her first two novels were published in 2005.

She has been married to her husband Terry since 1969 and they have a grown daughter and beautiful grandson. Apart from reading and writing historical novels, her other ruling passion is animals and until recently, she was treasurer for an organization that raised money for animal charities. She currently shares her home with two lovely yellow Labradors named Lucy and Mollie, who are her constant companions. They are real sweeties, but it’s not always easy working at the computer with a large Labrador trying to get on your knee!



Can a rake reform his ways and truly love? Lizzie's head tells her one thing, her heart another.

Infamous rake and Corinthian, Maxim Beaufort, Earl of St. Ive, finding himself in possession of a property in Yorkshire, is unprepared for the changes it will bring into his life. Irresistibly drawn to Elizabeth Granger, the former owner’s daughter, he attempts to help the family, finding himself filling the role of benefactor.

When the house is razed to the ground, he arranges for temporary accommodations for Elizabeth and her siblings on his estate and when Elizabeth rejects his proposal of marriage, he is nonetheless determined to win her over.

However, events and his reputation conspire to thwart his efforts and his course is one fraught with dangers.

Trust does not come easily and determined to protect her heart, Elizabeth struggles to resist her own longings. At times, their difficulties appear insurmountable but the earl is widely known as ‘The Indomitable’ and the name was not lightly earned.


Hazel Statham returns to The Book Connection today to talk about the art of writing Regency Romance. Hazel lives in Staffordshire, England. She started writing at fifteen and has written on and off ever since. She has always been fascinated by history and writes mainly in the Regency and Georgian eras, although she has had a short Medieval story published. Her first two novels were published in 2005.

She has been married to her husband Terry since 1969 and they have a grown daughter and beautiful grandson. Apart from reading and writing historical novels, her other ruling passion is animals and until recently, she was treasurer for an organization that raised money for animal charities. She currently shares her home with two lovely yellow Labradors named Lucy and Mollie, who are her constant companions. They are real sweeties, but it’s not always easy working at the computer with a large Labrador trying to get on your knee!

You can find out more about Hazel and her books at www.hazel-statham.co.uk.

Hazel's turn:

The Art of Writing Regency Romance


For me, writing in the Regency period has always been easy. It has often been joked that I was born in the wrong century as my writing voice is of that period.

I find I have an empathy for those times, especially during the time of the Peninsular Wars. You will find many of my stories relate to this period in British history. I find it difficult to explain my ‘feel’ and knowledge of the era but I suppose it relates to the fact that I have devoured Regency and other historical books from my early teens. Georgette Heyer has always been a great inspiration to me and nothing pleases me more than when my work is likened to hers.

However, in writing Regency it’s important to get it ‘right’. It’s the author’s responsibility to create a feel of the early nineteenth century. If I state facts, they are as accurate as I can make them and the use of traditional speech patterns also helps to create an atmosphere. Over the years many words have changed their meaning and usage so it is important not to give a modern day feel to the dialogue.

Romance itself has changed very little over the years but one must observe the mores of the day. To me, it is wrong to transpose the morals of today’s world onto earlier eras.

I am fascinated by the romance and elegance of the Regency period and this is what I hope to recreate in my work. So much emotion can be conveyed with merely a glance or a word.

I write Traditional Regency Romance and close the bedroom door when my hero and heroine retire. In true Regency tradition, the romance is in the characters and situations I create. I don’t write to a formula but there is humor and pathos and sometimes heart-rending situations, but always there is a happy ending.

If I succeed in bringing the era alive in my readers imagination and even for only a moment transport them into this wonderful time in history, then I am delighted to share my Regency world with then.

To follow the rest of Hazel's virtual book tour, stop by http://virtualbooktours.wordpress.com/ during the month of June.

Anyone who leaves comments at any of the blogs hosting Hazel during her virtual book tour, will be entered in a drawing to win either a $50 gift certificate from Amazon.com (non-authors) or a free virtual book tour (authors).

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

Great to have you back with us today, Hazel. Good luck on your tour.

Cheryl

Hazel said...

So pleased to be back with you again, Cheryl. Thank you so much for hosting me. I am very much looking forward to the tour.

For any readers out there who would like to get in touch, please do so, I promise to answer all my mail.
Regards to all,
Hazel

Cheryl said...

Glad to see you pop in Hazel.

Readers, Hazel is great about getting in touch with those who email her, so please take advantage of it.

If you like Georgette Heyer, you'll love Hazel's work.

Cheryl

Farrah from The Book Faery Reviews said...

I love regency period romance! This sounds like a good one I'll have to pick up. :-)

Anonymous said...

Historical romance is my favorite genre. I enjoyed the post and have added this book to my TBB list. I'll be following you on your book tour. Good luck!

CherylS22 said...

Historical romance is one of my favorite genres. I'd love to read this book & have added it to my TBR list.

megalon22[at]yahoo[dot]com

Carol L. said...

Hello Hazel,
It's so nice to meet you here. I love Regency and Georgian Romance stories. Next to my Scottish Highlanders of course. :) I am looking forward to reading "Lizzie;s Rake". I 'd love to find out about your other books as well. Great success on your Vitual Book Tour Hazel.
Carol L.
Carol @lucky4750@aol.com

Hazel said...

Thank you for your comments, ladies.

Carol, you can find information and reviews of my books over at my website, www.hazel-statham.co.uk If you have time please pop over and take a look.

Regards to all,

Hazel

Anonymous said...

Wow, even the guest post is written beautifully. I grew up reading historical romance, and I am enjoying reading Lizzie's Rake right now!

Cheryl said...

Oh, I forgot you were reading it. I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Carol, I also reviewed Hazel's novel, "His Shadowed Heart". You can find that review at http://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2008/08/his-shadowed-heart-by-hazel-statham.html

It's an excellent book!

Cheryl

Lucy Naylor Kubash said...

Congratulations on the release of Lizzie's Rake and best of luck with the virtual book tour, Hazel.

Lucy