Saturday, June 13, 2009

Fun Book Meme



This is my first book meme. I honestly haven't had time to look much into these, but hey, I am willing to try anything once. And, anyone who knows me knows how much I enjoy talking about myself. [Cheryl imagines all the friends nodding their heads as they read this.]

I found this meme over at Laura de Leon's blog, I'm Booking It.

1. What author do you own the most books by?

Dare I admit this in public. The author who fills more bookshelf space than any other is Laura Ingalls Wilder. Yes, I know I am supposed to be an adult, but I love the Little House books and the many other books of Laura's writing that adorn my shelves.

2. What book do you own the most copies of?

I think the only book I own multiple copies of is The Truth: I'm a Girl, I'm Smart and I Know Everything by Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein. If I had a copy of this book when I was a young girl, I might have made different decisions and saved myself a lot of heartache searching to be accepted for so many years.

3. Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?

I didn't even notice.

4. What fictional character are you secretly in love with?

I can't say I've ever been in love with a fictional character. There are characters who I admire, such as Alexander Hunter from Shades of Gray by Jessica James or Detective Doug Milligan from F.M. Meredith's Rocky Bluff P.D. series; but while there are many characters I get attached to, love is too strong of a word to apply.

5. What book have you read the most times in your life?

The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I was in my early twenties before I truly began to appreciate the Little House books. I enjoy seeing Almanzo Wilder play the dashing hero, knowing that in real life Almanzo and Cap Garland were those heroes who traveled sixty miles to find the seed wheat that kept the town of De Smet, SD from starving during the hard winter of 1880-81.

6. Favorite book as a ten-year-old?

I'm lucky I remember yesterday, never mind 31 years ago. Probably, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume. I'm still surprised my overprotective mother let me read it.

7. What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year?

I hate questions like these. A contemporary book that I was disappointed in is Lies and Liberation by Barbara Bérot; though many people raved about this sequel to When Europa Rode the Bull. It took me over 300 pages to get really interested in this book.

8. What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?

This is hard, because I've read several: Shades of Gray by Jessica James, The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner, Saffron Dreams by Shaila Abdullah, and The House on Tradd Street by Karen White.

9. If you could force everyone you know to read one book, what would it be?

I would never force anyone to read a book, but the best book I've ever read is The Stand by Stephen King.

10. What book would you most like to see made into a movie?

Another tough question, because all the books I mentioned in my answer to number 8 would make excellent movies. I would also like to see F.M. Meredith's Rocky Bluff P.D. series brought to the small screen and The Dead Guy by Doug Hewitt would be an excellent film for a younger Mel Gibson to star in.

11. What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?

Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I still remember some of the gory passages from this novel of a group of boys who end up on a deserted island and are left to create a new society; even though I was a freshman in high school when I was forced to read it.

12. What is your favorite book?

The Stand by Stephen King.

13. Play?

The Sound of Music.

14. Poem?

"The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

15. Essay?

Would it be vain if I said the essay where my son told his entire senior class that I was his idol? LOL! Honestly, I haven't read an essay since I was in high school, and none of them must have been memorable because I can't think of a single title.

16. Who is the most overrated writer alive today?

I don't believe I am qualified to answer that one.

17. What is your desert island book?

Faith and Honor by Robin Maderich. I could read that one over and over again if I had the time.

18. And . . . what are you reading right now?

I just finished Magic, Mensa and Mayhem by Karina Fabian and I am about to start Tristi Pinkston's new release, Agent in Old Lace.

Leave me a comment with a link to your answers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved Are you there God, It's Me, Margaret! I think my mom liked that I was reading it so she wouldn't have to talk to me about it so much. Or maybe I'm just projecting :-).

The Little House on the Prairie books were favorites when I was young, and I loved reading them to my daughter a few years back.