Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Historical Settings I Love


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of the bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top Ten Historical Settings I Love

This is a great topic because I love, love, love historical fiction.

  1. All-time favorite historical setting: American Civil War. I enjoy exploring this difficult time in our nation's history. I've read tons of non-fiction about the conflict, but it is discovering new ways authors bring this era to life in fiction that truly captivates me. I can thank Michael Shaara for introducing me to this genre, but there are many other authors whose work I have enjoyed and sought out as a result. 
  2. World War II: Another tense time in our history, Usually when I read fiction set during this time period it involves spies and espionage, which has always fascinated me. I really should have worked for the FBI. Copper Fire by Suzanne Woods Fisher was probably my first book set during WWII, but I've read many others now. 
  3. Settling of the West: One of the things that has made this country great is we have a rich history of risk takers and big dreamers that saw all America could be. While it would have been nice if they could have peaceably settled the West without impacting Native Americans, it's still an exciting time to read about.
  4. Tudor period: I'm partial to historical American settings, but Tudor England can never be explored enough. It helps that there are so many wonderful writers who use this time period for their fiction: C. W. Gortner, Philippa Gregory, and Margaret George to name a few.
  5. Reconstruction Era: Fiction set during the years the country struggled to reunite North with South offers a lot of wonderful background for great fiction. Even today we are unsure of how we feel about the symbols of that conflict, so imagine how much more difficult it was in the early years following the Civil War for people to accept each other again.Reconstructing Jackson by Holly Bush is a fine novel set in this time period. 
  6. Colonial America: Who can help but be excited about coming to a new country. In North Carolina, we have seen The Lost Colony play more than once. It's so difficult to imagine now what it must have been like, but authors like Jeff Shaara open our minds to it. He also happens to write Civil War fiction like his father, Michael. 
  7. French Revolution: If someone had asked me if I liked French Revolution historical fiction before I read Loss of Innocence by Anne Newton Walther or Mistress of the Revolution by Catherine Delors, I probably would have said no. These talented authors made me a fan.
  8. Biblical Times: In the past several years we've seen several novels depicting the lives of Biblical characters. Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar fictionalizes the life of Rahab.Then there is Claudia, Wife of Pontius Pilate by Diana Wallis Taylor, The list goes on and on. Whether they be Old or New Testament historical figures, their fictionalized stories captivate readers, including me. 
  9. Sherlock Holmes Era. Is there such a thing or did I just make it up? Probably the latter. Holmes and his partner Watson are fascinating characters living and working in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The setting is nearly as intriguing as the main characters. 
  10. Post- World War II: John Knoerle, author of The American Spy Trilogy led me to a time period I hadn't much considered before. In the period of transition between when the OSS disbands and the CIA is formed, espionage is as important as ever. Knoerle's character, Hal Schroeder, has survived behind enemy lines, just to find himself drawn back in because the Cold War has begun.

What historical settings do you love? Would you live to visit any of them? 

2 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Ooh nice topics! I'm not much of a history buff myself. But I like it when these settings/times are combined with paranormal elements! LOL!

Here's my Tuesday Post

Have a GREAT day!

Old Follower :)

iloveheartlandX said...

Ooh I love WWII fiction! And Tudor England too!
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/top-ten-tuesday-42/